Progressive Christian Alliance
Leadership Council Meeting
Friday, July 20, 2016 @ 6 PM CDT
Minutes recorded by Fred-Allen Self
In attendance: Beth Abbott, Gina Pond, Lawton Higgs, James Ramelis,
- Opening Reflection and Prayer by Lawton – Spoke on the Festival of Mary Magdalene, which falls on today. Then Lawton opened in prayer.
- Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting – Motion to accept by Beth Abbott. Seconded by Gina Pond. Approved unanimously.
501c3 discussion; fund raising and fund management – led by JT Ramelis.
- JT has opened a bank account for the Progressive Christian Alliance. Unfortunately, this account will cost $15 per month until we can get our 501(c)3.
- JT will be setting up a PayPal account within the next couple of weeks and will work with F-A and Gina to get a donation button on the website.
- We need $400 to file the non-profit application. The LC discussed different options for receiving donations. It was decided that we will use a PayPal donation button through the website.
- It was decided that the fiscal year should be January – December. This way a new fiscal year will begin as the LC changes.
- Constitution and Canons will be used as bylaws for 501(c)3 application.
- Unanimously adopted a Conflict of Interest statement by acclimation.
Report from Wild Goose Festival July 7-10, 2016
- Lawton and JT both attended.
- JT enjoyed most of the experience and felt that there is huge potential there for an organization like the PCA.
- Lawton made some comments during an interview that were included on a podcast. There was a significant amount of interest in the PCA.
- The first question asked by nearly everyone who came to the tent was, “What do you believe?” There were a number of people looking to see if they could pursue chaplaincy through the PCA.
- There were great compliments on our open Facebook page and how great it is!
RSL Pacific Region and other RSL needs
- There is still no Pacific Region RSL.
- Lawton has made a few phone contacts with current RSLs.
Affiliation & Ordination Documents & Process
- We need a form for the affiliation with the PCA. Our material mentions affiliation, this needs to be a formal process.
- It was discussed that there could be a small fee for the affiliation process. There could be a checkmark on this for those interested in ordination, but it would also be a way for people to be engaged with and connected with the PCA as members.
- F-A and Lawton will work together on creating an affiliation form for the website with Jotform.
- Ordination document still needs more revision. Beth had sent an email with some details that she would like to have revised. F-A received the email, but failed to finish updating the document. F-A will finish the update within the next couple of days and send it to the Leadership Council.
- Discussion Questions:
- What do we believe?
- What does ordination in the PCA cost?
- What training does the PCA require for ordination?
- What does this training cost?
- How does a seeker access the training?
- How long does it take to be ordained in the PCA?
- Who recognizes PCA ordination?
- What sacred office does an ordained PCA minister hold?
- PCA Strategic Planning (Vision; Short & Long Term Goals) & Social Media Content Management Strategy (Website, Facebook Groups & Facebook Page) Possible Resource: Content Strategy for the Web, Second Edition by Kristina Halvorson & Melissa Rach.
PCA Annual Conference at Wild Goose 2017? Cost? Programming?
- We can reserve a larger tent for $3000 or an even larger one for $10,000. There are fundraising partners that could partner with us for the tent to share some of the programming time.
- This would allow us to have a larger presence and host programming at the next Wild Goose festival.
- It would be possible to use this as our Annual Conference for the Progressive Christian Alliance so that our connection could come together and actually meet face-to-face and get to know one another and fellowship and learn from one another.
- An unfortunate drawback to this approach is that there is no Wi-Fi available at Wild Goose which presents a dilemma for an organization such as ours since we do have mostly a web presence.
- Gina mentioned that there are definitely accessibility issues with Wild Goose.
Next meeting date & time: August 12, 2016 @ 6:00
Approved by the Leadership Council on 12 August 2016